David R. Martin, Mayor
888 Washington Blvd. • Stamford, CT 06901
Mayor’s Office: 203-977-4150
Citizen Services Center: 203-977-4140
City Web site: www.stamfordct.gov
Department of social services
Director • Ellen E. Bromley
Front Desk, 8th Floor • 203-977-5652
Social Services, 9th Floor • 203-977-4050
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Municipal Agent for the Elderly • Joanne Ettorre
203-977-4747 • 9th Floor of Government Center
Municipal Agent for the Elderly assists city residents aged 60+ by providing information and referrals to local, state and federal services and benefit programs. The Agent also can help seniors fill out applications for benefits or housing. Appointments are preferred. Appointments may be with individuals, family members or caregivers and can be scheduled as either office or home visits.
Programs and services include:
• MedAssist is free service with trained counselors. Mission is to help residents understand how they
can best handle health care choices. Counselors help residents file forms and collect benefits to which they are entitled. Information provided on Medicare supplemental insurance, HMOs, etc.
Government Center, 9th Floor • 203-977-5297
Hours: By appointment only.
Stamford Senior Center, Inc.
Center is 501(c) not-for-profit organization whose mission is to provide programming that will help Stamford’s older adults, age 50 and above, to be “active and contributing members of the community by providing them with physical exercise, intellectual challenges, socialization, arts and information in an environment that is welcoming, functional and attractive.” Membership: $40 for single membership; $65/couples.
Government Center, 2nd Floor • 203-977-5151
Fax: 203-977-5152 • Web Site: www.stamfordseniorct.org
Program Hours: Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Executive Director • Christina K. Crain, MSW
Programs and services include: • Art classes. • Lectures and discussion groups. • “Lunch and learn” programs. • Blood pressure and glucose screenings. • Computer training. • Special and social events. • Yoga, t’ai chi, Zumba and other exercise classes • Spanish progamming.
Formerly Senior Services of Stamford (founded in 1908), SilverSource helps the over-60 population and their families navigate an immediate crisis, manage a short term issue, and assist with planning for longer-term transitions.An independent 501(c)3 nonprofit agency, SilverSource helps to meet the needs of older adults from all walks of life in a spirit of personal caring and concern. In cooperation with other area organizations and agencies, SilverSource strives to enable older adults to live more secure, independent and fulfilled lives.
Programs and Services: Consultation and Referrals; Aging Information Resource Center; Counseling; Medical Transportation; Social Work; Case Management; Outreach Programs; Benefits Eligibility and Emergency Financial Assistance.
2009 Summer St., 3rd Floor • Stamford, CT 06905 • 203-324-6584
Web site: www.silversource.org
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Executive Director • Kathleen Bordelon
JEWISH FAMILY SERVICE OF STAMFORD, INC.
Founded in 1978 with mission to “sustain individuals and families through all of life’s challenges and build strong healthy communities.” Offers wide range of programs and services. For seniors, JFS provides assistance that enables them to “remain safe, healthy and independent to the fullest extent possible.” Services for the elderly include: Case Management, Geriatric Counseling, Home Companion Program, Volunteer Services.
733 Summer St., Ste. 602 • Stamford, CT 06901
203-921-4161 • Fax: 203-921-4169
CEO • Matt Greenberg
Director of Senior Services • Isrella Knopf
Supportive Services for Families and Caregivers
Municipal Agent for the Elderly Joanne Ettorre has information on support groups, respite programs, more.
Groups and programs covered include:
• Access Ambulance Company of Stamford Emergency Medical Services, which has Family and Friends CPR Program. Call 203-637-2351 for information.
• Stamford Health System, which has Spousal Support Group meeting semimonthly for spouses of persons
with Alzheimer’s or other dementia. Moderated by clinical psychologist. No fee.
26 Palmers Hill Rd. • Stamford, CT 06902
SENIOR MEN’S ASSOCIATION OF STAMFORD
Nonprofit organization open to all men age 55 and older. The group, numbering in the hundreds, is nondenominational but meets every Thurs., Sept.-June, at 10 a.m. at Congregation Agudath Shalom on Strawberry Hill Ave. at Colonial Rd. for speakers, discussions, refreshments, socializing. Additionally, the group organizes: visits to various attractions; card games; golf tournaments; picnics; luncheons. The group is committed to community services and outreach, such as food drives, Songsters’ visits to nursing homes.
Web site: www.stamfordmen.org
U.S. Mail: SMAS, P.O. Box 8237, Stamford, CT 06905
• Access Ambulance Company, Inc. Cooperative effort between Greenwich EMS and Stamford EMS to provide some non-emergency medical transportation by ambulance or Invalid Coach. Hours: 24/7 by appointment.
Call 203-637-2351 for information.
• Dispatch-a-Ride/Easy Access/Town-to-Town. Services that provide transportation for disabled persons meeting eligibility requirements to various points in Stamford/Norwalk area • 203-299-5180
• Share the Fare. All Stamford elderly and disabled individuals are eligible for the Share the Fare Program, which is a reduced fare taxi voucher program. Taxi vouchers are sold in books of 10 each and are valued at $50, but sold for $25. Taxicab companies that accept the vouchers are listed on the back of the vouchers. Four books valuing $100 may be purchased in one month. Those who wish to purchase must bring photo identification with a Stamford address listed. Vouchers are sold in the Cashiering and Permitting Office located in the lobby of the Government Center, 888 Washington Blvd., Stamford, CT 06901. This office is open Mon.-Fri., 8:15 a.m.-4:15 p.m., except in the summer, when it is open 8:15 a.m.-3:45 p.m. Cash or checks are the only acceptable forms of payment. For more information, please contact Joanne Ettorre at 203-977-4747
• Ride to Wellness. SilverSource, Inc. drives ambulatory, over-60 Stamford residents, in need of affordable transportation, to and from doctor or medical professional’s office. Voluntary contributions appreciated to support the service. Hours: Monday-Friday 9a.m.-3p.m., except holidays. Call for an appointment 203-324-6584
Tax Relief Programs
Information regarding various tax/rent circuit breakers, freezes, exemptions and rebates for residents who are elderly, disabled or veterans available from Taxation Services Representatives in Office of Assessment and Tax Collection.
Government Center, 6th Floor • 203-977-5888
Assessor • Greg Stackpole
President • Alice Knapp
Main Library/DiMattia Bldg.
One Public Library Plaza
Mon.-Thurs., 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sun. 1-5 p.m.
Harry Bennett Branch
115 Vine Rd.
Mon. & Wed., 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
Thurs., 1-6 p.m.
Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Weed Memorial & Hollander Branch
1143 Hope St.
Tues. & Thurs., 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
South End Branch
34 Woodland Ave.
Tues. & Wed., 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Thurs., 12-7 p.m.
Sat., 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Tues.-Thurs., 9:15 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Itinerary available at: www.fergusonlibrary.org
Government Center • 203-323-2149
Mailing Address: 888 Washington Blvd.
• P.O. Box 10152 • Stamford, CT 06904-2152
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Judge • Gerald M. Fox, III
Call 911 for all emergencies.
Headquarters: 805 Bedford St. • Stamford, CT 06901
Non-emergencies: 203-977-4444 • Fax: 203-977-5583
Chief • Jonathan Fontneau • 203-977-4681
City of Stamford Fire Department (CSFD). CSFD provides variety of Fire & Life Safety Seminars, including Elderly Fire Safety.
CSFD Administrative Offices and Fire Station No. 1
629 Main St. • Stamford, CT 06901 • 203-977-4796
Fire Chief • Trevor Roach
Non-emergencies • 203-977-5555
Stamford Emergency Medical Services, Inc. (SEMS)
Motto: “A Matter of Life.”
Headquarters: 684 Long Ridge Rd. , Stamford, CT 06902
Web site: www.stamfordems.org
Community Education and Outreach Programs include:
• Senior Awareness for Emergencies (SAFE). SEMS arranges visits to senior buildings to discuss emergency preparedness and medical care. Blood pressure screenings also performed.
• File of Life Program. SEMS educates residents on
this program in which seniors place medical and other pertinent information in magnetic folder kept on refrigerator. In emergency, responders can obtain information if individual unable to offer it.
Other Important Phone Numbers
Animal Care and Control • 203-977-4437
Public Services Bureau Chief • 203-977-4143
Registrars of Voters • 203-977-4009 and 203-977-4011
Town and City Clerk • 203-977-4054
Stamford’s Population by Age
(Source: Latest Decennial U.S. Census)
Total 60+ 22,263
Total population of Stamford: 122,643
Percentage 60 years of age or over: 18.1%
Land area: 37.8 sq. mi.