Jayme Stevenson, First Selectman
Darien Town Hall
2 Renshaw Rd. • Darien, CT 06820
203-656-7300 • Web site: www.darienct.gov
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Commission on Aging
Develops policies and exercises oversight concerning needs of Darien’s seniors regarding health, recreation, transportation and economics. Chairman • Joseph M. Pankowski, Jr.
Department of Human Services
Staff available to assist residents by phone, by e-mail, in Town Hall offices or in residents’ homes. Director is also Municipal Agent for Elderly Persons and serves as liaison with Commission on Aging and other resources and programs serving elderly.
Town Hall, Room 109 • 203-656-7328 Fax: 203-656-7486
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or by appointment.
Director • Olive Hauser • 203-656-7373
Case Manager • Ali Ramsteck • 203-656-7494
Department programs and services include:
• Counseling, Information, Referrals
• Loan Closet: free, short-term loans of convalescent equipment.
• Household Supply Closet: augments food pantries with personal and home cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc.
• Financial Assistance: To eligible applicants. Short term.
• Energy Assistance: To eligible applicants.
• Rebate for Elderly and Disabled Who Rent.
• Holiday Programs.
• Emergency Support Services: list of individuals who would require assistance in event of emergency.
• Handicapped Parking Permits Applications.
• Resource Library: wide range of reading material on human services topics. Department publishes the SENIOR RESOURCE DIRECTORY.
DARIEN SENIOR PROGRAM AT the MATHER CENTER
2 Renshaw Rd. • Darien, CT 06820 • 203-656-7490
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Director • Elizabeth Paris
Program Specialist • Marcy Rand
Programs include: hot lunch daily ($4.00 charge); arts and crafts; art workshops and classes; bridge
and pinochle; computer room; 19 unique exercise classes; Wii bowling; discussion groups; health and wellness programs; knitting and needlepoint; Italian and Spanish instruction and conversation; writing workshops; contemporary issues discussions; short-story discussions; woodworking shop; additional special monthly programs, such as Great Decisions and Road to Character programs.
Services include: monthly blood-pressure readings; monthly caregiver support group; weekly Ask a Social Worker; monthly Ask a Lawyer; supportive counseling; volunteer opportunities.
At Home In Darien
A nonprofit agency that helps Darien seniors live independently, comfortably and with dignity in their homes and the community as long as possible. The organization helps Darien residents, age 60-plus, and those who care about them. It provides free services, including transportation; information, advice and agency referrals; referral to trustworthy and reliable vetted service providers, such as handymen and caregiver agencies; volunteer services, including grocery shopping, home visits, driving and small chores; social, cultural and wellness programs and activities; and communication via the Out and About newsletter and monthly e-mails that highlight senior programs and services, health tips and ideas for living at home safely. For more information, call 203-655-2227 or visit www.athomeindarien.org.
• At Home In Darien provides free transportation for Darien seniors and the disabled to any destination in Darien, Norwalk, Stamford and New Canaan, Mon. through Fri., 9 a.m-4 p.m. Reservation required (24-hour advance notice), and voluntary contributions appreciated ($5 per round trip suggested). For service to other locations, or at other times, or when a person is needed to pick senior up from a medical appointment, call to request a Friendly Volunteer Driver. Call 203-655-2227 or visit www.athomeindarien.org for more information.
• Easy Access/Dispatch a Ride: run by Norwalk Transit District, serves disabled riders with curb-to-curb service within Darien, Greenwich, Norwalk and Stamford.
• 203-299-5180 • Web site: www.norwalktransit.com
Tax Relief Programs
Town Assessor administers state programs under which taxes are reduced for eligible residents. Call for information and guidelines.
Town Hall, Room 102 • 203-656-7310 Fax: 203-656-7380 Assessor • Anthony Homicki
Consistently ranked among top ten libraries in the country in its category.
1441 Post Rd. • Darien, CT 06820 • 203-655-1234
Fax: 203-655-1547 • Web site: www.darienlibrary.org
Library Director • Alan Gray
Dial-A-Book: Free service for homebound residents.
Staff deliver borrowed items to homes and return them to Library. • 203-655-2568
Town Hall • 203-656-7342
Judge • William P. Osterndorf
Call 911 for all emergencies.
25 Hecker Ave. • Darien, CT 06820 Non-emergencies: 203-662-5300
Fax: 203-662-5344 • Web site: www.darienpolice.org
Chief • Duane J. Lovello
Darien has three volunteer fire departments, each covering a different section of town.
Darien Fire Department (eastern part)
848 Post Rd. • Darien, CT 06820 Non-emergencies: 203-655-1216
Web site: www.darienfire.org
Chief • Vic Pensiero
Noroton Fire Department (southern part)
1873 Boston Post Rd. • Darien, CT 06820 Non-emergencies: 203-655-0653
Web site: www.norotonfd.org
Chief • James O’Brien
Noroton Heights Fire Department (northern part) 209 Noroton Ave. • Darien, CT 06820Non-emergencies: 203-655-1033
Chief • Shawn Murphy
Web site: www.nhfd.us
Darien Fire Marshal’s office
Town Hall, Room 117 • 203-656-7345
Emergency Medical Services (Post 53)
Darien’s Emergency Medical Services provided by Post 53, Explorer Post open to both boys and girls. Unique, award-winning, all-volunteer organization of highly trained young people and adult advisors. Operates three fully equipped, state-of-the-art ambulances 24-7 year-round. Post 53 raises all its own funding.
0 Ledge Rd. • Darien, CT 06820Non-emergencies: 203-655-8980
Other Important Phone Numbers
Other Important Phone Numbers
Animal Control • 203-662-5345
Building Dept. • 203-656-7347
Harbor Master • 203-253-9519
Health Dept. • 203-656-7320
Parks & Recreation Dept.• 203-656-7325
Planning & Zoning Dept.• 203-656-7351
Public Works Dept.• 203-656-7346
Registrars of Voters • 203-656-7319 (D)
and 203-656-7301 (R)
Tax Collector • 203-656-7314
Town Clerk • 203-656-7307
Darien’s Population by Age
(Source: Latest Decennial U.S. Census)
Total 60+ 3,277
Total population of Darien: 20,732
Percentage 60 years of age or over: 16.8%
Land area: 14.8 sq. mi.