Commission on Aging
Develops policies and exercises oversight concerning needs of Darien’s seniors regarding health, recreation, transportation and economics.
Chairman • Joseph M. Pankowski, Jr.,
Christine Castles, Peter F. Eder,
Jennifer Geddes, Geraldine Genovese,
Francie George, Ronald Heinbaugh,
Mary McCarthy, James Metzger,
Anne Marie Rayhill, Raymond Slavin
Staff available to assist residents by phone, by e-mail, in Town Hall offices or in residents’ homes. Director is also Municipal Agent for Elderly Persons and serves as liaison with Commission on Aging and other resources and
programs serving elderly.
Town Hall, Room 109 • 203-656-7328 Fax: 203-656-7486 • Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or by appointment.
Director • Ali Ramsteck, LCSW
Case Manager • Cynthia Hall, LMSW
and services include:
• Counseling, Information, Referrals
• Loan Closet: free, short-term loans of convalescent equipment.
• Household Supply Closet: augments food pantries with personal and home cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc.
• Financial Assistance: To eligible applicants. Short term.
• Energy Assistance: To eligible
• Rebate for Elderly and Disabled Who Rent.
• Holiday Programs.
• Emergency Support Services: list
of individuals who would require assistance in event of emergency.
• Handicapped Parking Permits Applications.
• Resource Library: wide range of reading material on human services topics. Department publishes the SENIOR RESOURCE DIRECTORY.
The Mather Center
2 Renshaw Rd. • Darien, CT 06820
203-656-7490 • Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Director • Elizabeth Paris
Program Specialist • Marcy Rand
Clerk/Receptionist • Eileen Manhart
Programs include: Chef-Prepared Noon Meal ($5.00) Creative Pursuits: Stain Glass Instruction, Water Color, Acyrlic & Oil Painting; Woodshop Repair Program; Bridge and Pinochele Instruction; Computer Room; 19 Exercise Classes; Health and Wellness Lectures; Languages Classes; Crafts Themes, Knitting and Crocheting; Writing Work-shop; Short Story Discussion; History Presentations; Global Issues; Musical Entertainments and Special Monthly Programs and more.
Services include: Bi-monthly Health Counseling & Blood Pressure Screening; Ask a Social Worker; Ask a Lawyer monthly; Caregiver Educational Support Group; Audioligy Screening; AARP Driving ; VA Counselor by appointment; Volunteer Opportunities.
At Home In Darien
A nonprofit agency that helps Darien seniors live independently, comfortably, and with dignity in their homes and the community as long as possible. The organization helps Darien residents, age 60-plus, and those who care about them. It provides free services, including transportation; information, advice and agency referrals; referral to trustworthy and reliable vetted service providers, such as home and property maintenance professionals; volunteer services, including grocery shopping, home visits, driving and small chores; social, cultural and wellness programs and activities; and communication via the Out and About newsletter and monthly e-mails that highlight senior programs and
services throughout town, health tips and ideas for living at home safely. For more information, call 203-655-2227 or visit www.athomeindarien.org.
Executive Director • Gina Zarra Blum
• At Home In Darien provides free transportation for Darien seniors and the disabled to any destination in Darien, Norwalk, Stamford and New Canaan, Mon. through Fri., 9 a.m-4 p.m. Reservation required (24-hour advance notice), and voluntary contributions appreciated ($5 per round trip suggested). For service to other locations, or at other times, or when a person is needed to pick senior up from a medical appointment, call to request a friendly volunteer driver. Call 203-655-2227 or visit www.athomeindarien.org for more information.
• Easy Access/Dispatch a Ride: run by Norwalk Transit District, serves disabled riders with curb-to-curb service within Darien, Greenwich, Norwalk and Stamford. • 203-299-5180 • Website: www.norwalktransit.com.
Tax Relief Programs
Town Assessor administers state programs under which taxes are reduced for eligible residents. Call for information and guidelines.
Town Hall, Room 102 • 203-656-7310
Assessor • Anthony Homicki
Judge • William P. Osterndorf
Darien Town Hall, 2 Renshaw Rd.
Darien, CT 06820